2 Day CPD Validated Course - Designing for Safety in Construction
Course Dates and Times:
Day 1 - Tuesday 11 May 2021 9.00am-5.00pm
Day 2 - Tuesday 18 May 2021 9.00am-5.00pm
Who should attend:
• Permanent works designers
The aim of the course to provide practical guidance to engineers and designers on how to comply with their duties under the Safety Health & Welfare at Work legislation. The course is based on the Designing for Safety in Construction Manual, authored by Jack Kavanagh, Chartered Engineer, FIEI FConsEI and published jointly by ACEI, Engineers Ireland & RIAI.
The programme will take the form of structured lectures covering five Modules, based on the ‘Designing for Safety in Construction’ Manual and the Briefing Notes published by the professional bodies:ACEI; Engineers Ireland; Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland (RIAI); Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland (SCSI).
The lectures will be interspersed with short workshops, and the course will conclude with an open book examination.
Successful applicants will be awarded an ACEI/Engineers Ireland approved ‘DSC Certificate’ which meets the requirements of the 2013 Government procurement procedures.
On completion of the programme, a participant will be informed on recommended practice in respect of:
• The duties of a designer under the legislation
• Statutory duties overriding contractual duties
• The ‘general principles of prevention’ and taking account of them during design of permanent works.
• ‘Hazards’, ‘risks’ and ‘particular risks’
• Designers’ risk assessment, hazard elimination , risk mitigation.
• Co-operating with other designers
• Protocols within design teams
• Providing information for the Preliminary Health & Safety Plan Certification (permanent and temporary works)
• Taking directions from the PSDP or PSCS
• How to deal with situations where no PSDP has been appointed to the project
Trainer/course designer profiles:
• Kevin Rudden (Garland) BScEng, EurIng, FConsEI, CEng. MIEI
• Michael Moriarty (T.J.O’Connor & Associates) MEngSc., BE, FConsEI, CEng MIEI
• Adam Goff (Arup) BE Mech, PgD Const H&S, PgD Proj Mgt, MSc(EHS), GradIOSH, CEng